Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Community Health Promoter

Hey everyone! So i have gotten some questions from people wondering exactly what I will be doing while in Peru and figured I'd share what my assignment packet said about my job details'

"Your specific responsibilities might include:
~Developing education and awareness campaigns with community partners to promote community health among residents.
~Training local health promoters and community leaders in nutrition, proper hygiene, and disease prevention.
~Teaching school children basic health, nutrition, and hygiene practices, such as the importance of hand-washing.
~Training mothers in the importance of a balanced diet, including higher levels of vitamin A, iron, iodine, and other micro-nutrients.
~Training mothers with infants to improve breastfeeding and weaning practices, so that children maintain more stable growth.
~Health community partners establish backyard and community gardens, and teaching them to prepare culturally acceptable foods rich in vitamins and minerals.
~Training community members how to construct and utilize latrines.
~Training community members how to construct and utilize improved cooking stoves, which produce far less smoke and utilize less wood.
~Helping local municipal government implement proper trash and waste disposal techniques.
~Training rural families in alternative income-generating activities (such as animal or handicraft production), so they can add new income to their households."

I will also have the opportunity to engage in secondary projects with my spare time such as coaching soccer, teaching math, or teaching English--pretty much anything that will help the community that I have some experience in.

I'm counting down to September and can't wait to return to Peru!!
Te amo,
-Jenny

2 comments:

Sara said...

Jenny
I just read your notes on Geoffrey's blog. I'm going to be in the Peace Corps Peru group that leaves September 10. I just got my assignment on Thursday, 7/3 and am really excited. I'll be going as a community health worker as well. I'm super busy as I quit my current job on 8/1, am renting out my house and going to head to Montana for 2 weeks R and R in the mountains before September.

Sara

James said...

Jenny- I also got my invitation last week and will be going to Peru on September 10th as well. I couldn't be more excited. I am actually living in Charlotte until late August. I was curious if NCSU was North Carolina State and where you are located for the summer. My e-mail is james.tvrdy@gmail.com if you want to contact me. Hope to hear from you soon...