Sunday, November 30, 2008

It's Official We're Peace Corps Volunteers...and We Have Cell Phones To Prove It

Ok guys, sorry that I haven’t written one of these in forever and a half. Life finishing up training has just been crazy as heck! Since I’m writing this away from the internet I’m not even sure where my last blog left off so I’ll just pick up at my site visit. My town is called Nanchoc, Cajamarca—if you’re going to try to Google it, don’t, it’s not there (well not much about it). So I’ll try to fill everyone in on the happenings. Nanchoc is a small district capital of 350 people on a busy day that is surrounded by 7 surroundings neighborhoods with a total population that’s still less than 1000 people ( or so I’m told…in 3 months I’ll be able to tell you the exact numbers I hope). But my house is AMAZING! I love it, and I’m about 99% sure that I have the nicest, or at least in the top 10, bathroom in the Peace Corps. I have tile, AND, get this, a shower curtain. Ok so the shower curtain doesn’t sound like an extraordinary feet, but there for some reason seems to be a lack of shower curtains in this country…assuming that you have a shower. But my house is rather large for a house in the campo, it has 2 kitchens (one wood burning stove outside and one gas stove inside), 2 living rooms (one from the older portion of the house and one newer one that they just built in the back of the house), 4 bedrooms, but one’s used more for storage, and the best part…a cuy room. Yes, you read that correctly, we have a whole room that’s dedicated to guinea pigs. I think there was around 30 of them in there…not sure of the exact numbers yet.
My host mom and dad are really nice; their names are Julia and Jose. My mom runs a Pension out of the house, which is basically means that she cooks meals for the teachers and doctors in the area. And my dad is a farmer--we have a ton of land and animals. I think I’ve counted 6 cows, 10 goats or sheep (ok so you laugh that I can’t tell the difference…and well Wendy is crying. But these are the weirdest looking animals I’ve ever seen…I think they’re a new species or something.), 15 turkeys, lord knows how many chickens, 5 pigs, 2 donkeys, 2 horses, 2 dogs, and 2 cats. And hopefully when I return the cute, adorable puppy that I found at the barn will still be there and I can claim him as my own…but that’s a big assumption I probably shouldn’t make.
My house is located right across the street from the health center, which is great since I will be working so closely with them over the next 2 years, and the school (the only school in the whole district) is right down the street. Everyone seems really excited to be working with me and really happy to have another volunteer in their site. I’m replacing a guy from…get this…Raleigh, NC—so basically they think everyone in the Peace Corps is from North Carolina now, which is weird, but my house is decorated with the pictures from a NC calendar, so it’s like being at home…sorta. My first night in Nanchoc we had a meeting with all of the health promoters, doctors, nurses, and teachers to discuss what they would like to see from me as far as work projects are concerned over the next 2 years. They want a lot of work with youth, which I am super excited about, and in the areas further away from town they still need improved stoves and latrines, then there is the obvious working with the health promoters and keeping them up to date on information and the like.
So since I can’t really think of any other interesting site descriptions right now I’m going to switch topics and talk about graduating!!! Ok so it’s not really graduating, it’s just officially becoming a volunteer…that’s right as of yesterday, the 28th of November we are all officially Peace Corps Volunteers! We had a really nice ceremony in the back yard at the training center with a tent decked out in red white and blue with the Peruvian flag, the Peace Corps flag, and the American flag in the center. Douglas, a member of my health group and all around bad ass for his songs and guitar skills during Spanish presentations among other skills, managed to give an amazing speech IN Spanish while being deathly ill. He somehow made it through the hour long ceremony without puking then had to retreat to the bathroom to pass some time. Poor guy, but he did an amazing job, so KUDOS Douggie!!!!
Oh I forgot to mention before the ceremony we all had to bring all of our luggage to the center so we could take it with us to Lima that night. Ok so 47 people, with 2 to 4 bags each = a shit ton of luggage. We somehow managed to carry it all on to the buses that picked us up from the training center and took us to Lima. Once in Lima we quite literally put our bags down in our hostel and ran for supper/to celebrate with our fellow PCVs. Brian and I ate at a pretty good restaurant in Parque Kennedy, I had the best Lasagna ever…ok that’s a lie, but since I haven’t seen real mozzarella since I left America, it was amazing. (sorry I realize I’m using the word amazing a lot…but it’s just fitting and I’m too lazy to think up another word) Then after supper we met up with the rest of the group in Barranco at a bar/discoteca and left around 4 in the morning (and for Peruvians that’s early…they usually stay out till the sun comes up).
Then my plans for today were to go see my host family from the last time I was in Peru, but when I got to their house they were on the way out the door to a lunch, so I talked for about 5 minutes then they had to go. Maybe I’ll catch them the next time I’m in Lima. So right Now I’m sitting on the end of the bed listening to Brian snore, and waiting for Sarah to fall off the bed because she’s only half on due to luggage, typing up this blog. I guess at some point I’ll wake them up so we can go grab some lunch…or quite possibly join in with the nap fest. My bus for Chiclayo leaves at 8:30pm and I should be arriving there around 9am tomorrow. Then pass the day in Chiclayo and head to Nanchoc Monday afternoon (it would be Monday morning, but the only bus leaves at 1.)

So until next time: love you all! Miss you all! Stay safe.

1 comment:

meg{moir} said...

Hey Jenny! Glad you are doing ok and got to spend some time in good old Miraflores. Do you have a new mailing address now that you have moved to your site or is it still the common one?

Take care!
Megan