Thursday, June 18, 2009

4x6

I’ve become somewhat of the unofficial photographer of my site. Not that I mind it, I love to take pictures, and occasionally I even get a really good one out of the deal. I even get a real smile out of some of the people I take pictures of, not the stone faced Peruvian glare that usually comes out when you take someone’s picture here. My town’s started opening up one photo at a time.

I was originally hesitant to bust out my Nikon D40. I mean, the camera costs the same as the proposed new addition to the high school. I was worried in what bringing out my camera would say to the people in my town. I’m supposed to be the broke volunteer, a flashy camera might counteract that. Or so I thought.

I did have a few people call me out on how expensive the camera must have been, I just wrote it off as a gift. Saying that I didn’t buy it. Which I didn’t. So it’s not a lie. In hindsight I’m mad that I waited as long as I did to bring out my camera. I waited almost 6 months, wanting the town to get to know me as the volunteer before the gringo with the fancy camera.

May 1st was the anniversary of the High School here in town, and then June 7th was the day of the flag. I took a ton of pictures, probably near 1000 in total to document both for myself and to give to friends. It’s rare for a family here in the campo of Peru to have more than one or 2 photos of their kids. It’s getting less rare in this cell phone/camera day and age. But let’s face it, cell phone pictures aren’t always the greatest. So I’ve started trying to get one or 2 good pictures of every kid that performs at a school function or community event. Then I of course take any other cute kids picture. Anyone that asks me to take their picture I will. Under one circumstance: they said “Jennifer take my picture” and not “gringa take my picture.” Who would have known the fastest way for EVERY single student at the high school to learn my name was to bring my camera.

These kids are just so photogenic. There are the occasional “strike a model pose” that I try to get them to avoid. Only super models look good pocking their hips out at that angle anyways. I like the photos the best when it catches them off guard. I get a glimpse of who they really are, before they have a chance to turn on the stone cold Peruvian face for photos.

I’ll let the pictures do the talking from here on out:


Dancing at the High School


The Little Ones waiting to march in the parade


Waiting to perform


Eddie listening to a speech

No comments: