Tuesday, October 7, 2008

TEMBLOR!!!!

Ok so This post is probably going to be relatively short since I'm sitting in the local internet cafe and its not very conducive to thinking. But I wanted to tell you all about my very first earthquake!!!! Now before you all (and my mother) flip out, according to the news today it was a magnitude 4 so it wasnt that bad. But the story:

My host dad Elipo has just finished asking me to explain hurricanes to him. The news Last night was about all the issues going on in America (PS someone fill me in please...we are all out of the loop) and the announcer mentioned hurricanes. So mid sentence of me explaining that hurricanes were not like earthquakes all the dogs in the neighborhood start barking. And then literally 2 seconds later my mom gets this look on her face--it can be best described as the one a coach gets right before their team gets scored on--and then the house starts shaking. Next thing I know I'm being yelled at in Spanish to get outside FAST. The tremor has stopped by the time we all got outside, and it really wasnt that big of an earthquake. But the funny part comes next. So I apparently had the biggest smile on my face once we all got outside--I mean it was my first earth quake--and the only thing I could say was "es verdad, en cierto" aka "seriously, really?" my mom just laughed and called me a silly gringo.

But needless so say there were no other trembles, everyone is ok, it was just exciting for me since it was my first. My new friends from Cali didn't think anything of it.

Tomorrow I actually have a DAY OFF!!!!!! My first day off in my entire 3 something weeks here in Peru--there is no free time in the Peace Corps. So I look forward to updating this blog some more tomorrrow.

Till then: love you all, miss you all!

ps Wendy and Derrick: send me plants 101 so I can translate it to Spanish. Sounds like I'll be doing more community gardening than I thought and I'd like ya'lls help!

No comments: